Walnuts are one of the most nutritious nuts to munch on. You can add them to your daily diet to chuck out supplements for the same level of nutrition. The report of walnuts nutrition facts reflects on how rich it is in proteins and fibers. Daily intake of walnut can offer you sound heart and bone health. Here’s us going deeper into the idea of why you must add more walnuts in your diet.
Walnuts nutritional facts
In this segment, we will particularly discuss all the facts that justify the importance of consuming walnuts. So follow the rest of the detailed pointers to expect more walnuts nutrition facts.
Walnut skin nutrition
According to the researchers to get the full nutritional benefits, one needs to consume the entire walnut without discarding the hard skin. Now there is a reason behind that, as per data, about the majority of the phenol, is present on the skin. Precisely it has an adequate portion of flavonoids, tannins, and phenolic acid. Hence consuming the outer part will turn out a great addition to your health.
For weight cautious consumers, walnuts are among the best options. It is because of the presence of 15% protein and 65% fat making it an ideal junk-food substitute. The principal content ingredient is not carbohydrate. Therefore, you don’t have to worry much while taking the walnuts.
Presence of a good amount of nutrients
Note that daily if you take 1 ounce of the walnut in a day then you are actually consuming about 185 calories, 4.3 grams of proteins, 3.9 grams of carbohydrates, 0.7 grams of sugar, 1.9 grams of fiber and finally 18.5 grams of healthy fat.
An adequate portion of good fat
It is time to cut off the junk items from your palette. This is because a healthy, high- calorie enriched nut is ready to offer an adequate health portion that your body requires. Talking about the fat presence in walnut it is completely healthy. It is because of walnuts that have Omega 3 fatty Alpha-Linolenic Acid abbreviated as the ALA.
In addition to that like all other nuts, you will find that it has the omega 6 fatty acids as well. Note that this percentage is varying between 18 to 34%. At the same time, know that walnuts have a high amount of polyunsaturated fats as well. Definitely, ALA specifically heals many health problems. Simultaneously, takes care of any kind of inflammation and other heart- related issues.
Minerals and vitamins
Walnuts have the required amount of minerals and vitamins. The following are mostly present in the list:
- Vitamin E: The quantity of gamma-tocopherol or vitamin E is more in Walnuts in comparison to the other types of nuts.
- Phosphorous and copper: Walnuts consist of the desired level of phosphorous, which strengthens the bone. In addition to that presence of copper ensures the sound functioning of the heart.
- Vitamin B 6: Walnuts also have vitamin B 6 responsible for strengthening the immune system. In addition to that anaemic people can have one walnut daily to increase the red blood cells count in the body.
- Folic Acid and Manganese: The nutritional benefits of walnuts are great for pregnant mothers. Consumption can improve the level of folic acid or vitamin B 9 in the body. Indeed that would prevent any kind of birth anomaly of the child. Besides that, Manganese present in Walnuts helps to absorb the calcium in the body. That in return prevents bone diseases like osteoporosis.
The brown skin of the walnut has a high content of nutritional value. Therefore, you can always consider this part equally important when discussing the walnuts nutritional facts. Precisely you can say it as a great source of antioxidants. So scroll down below to get some idea on the plant-based elements present in the walnut.
- Melatonin: The first essential element is the melatonin, it helps to minimize the effect of heart disease.
- Ellagic acid: It is a kind of antioxidant, helps to protect your body from deadly diseases like cancer.
- Catechin: It is a type of antioxidant present in walnuts rich in flavonoids, which too protects the heart.
- Phytic acid: It is rich in antioxidants and offers goodness to the overall health. But one thing it can act as a block during absorption of zinc and iron.
Therefore the above said enlightens you on the walnuts nutrition facts in detail.
In this category, we will list down the important benefits that you can get from having walnuts in your snack regime. So let’s start the countdown.
Increases memory power
Taking walnuts can enhance the cognitive functioning of the brain. As per evidence, people who consume walnuts have experienced excellent comprehension ability. Indeed a person can experience a great change in his or her ability to grasp new things. Even it proved miraculous on treating brain diseases like Alzheimer’s on animals as well.
Reduces fat deposition in blood
Walnuts help to treat metabolic syndrome in younger adults. Note that metabolic syndrome is a kind of fat deposition in the blood. And causes a series of problems such as high blood pressure, high blood sugar. In addition to that, also reduces the HDL cholesterol in the body. Majorly it leads to fat deposition in and around the waist area. Untreated metabolic syndrome can cause heart-related disease even stroke. On the, it is very much responsible for making the person suffer from obesity as well.
Treats Type 2 diabetes
You all know that type 2 diabetes is all about related to the insulation problem. People with type 2 diabetes have the risk to develop cardiovascular diseases in the near future. Walnuts help to prepare the body to stay tolerant of insulin. This is so because the walnuts have a great amount of the dietary form of fiber. Coming to fiber, it takes a longer time to break down and digestion takes place slowly. Thus, it ensures the slow production of sugar in the body. Now once the doctor diagnoses you with type 2 diabetes immediately he will revise the diet regime. Eventually, they will ask to add walnuts. Certainly, after taking the walnuts for two to three months at a stretch you will observe that the cholesterol gets under control.
Helpful in treating cancer
Do you know walnuts can immensely help to treat any type of cancer? Well, the anticancerous role of nuts is known to all. In that context, walnuts also made a great contribution to this area of concern as well. The anti-inflammatory property of walnuts helps to treat any acute inflammation. The presence of antioxidants in walnuts treats stress caused due to oxidative factors. Largely, walnuts do help to treat breast and prostate cancer.
Walnuts do so by reducing the concentration of cholesterol in the body. That means once the cholesterol level gets low the cancer cells cannot grow quickly. On top of that having walnuts lowers the chance of having COX-2 and PSP94, the suppressor of the tumor. Finally maximizes the level of adiponectin in the body. Overall, these goodness prove that walnuts can help to cancer quite fruitfully.
No weight gain
Walnuts predominantly help to fight against weight gain. Now you might ponder why so. It is because the fat content in walnut is less. At the same time, the calorie content of the walnut is 21% less compared to all other nuts. If you consume walnut and simultaneously do follow an exercise routine then surely you can curb the weight gain factors.
Good for pregnant mothers
Pregnant women can always add walnuts to their diet for a healthy and sound baby. That means it fairly contributes to the proper brain development of the child. In addition to that, also helps to treat nausea during periods of pregnancy.
Shiny and voluminous hair is what all expect to have. But some internal deficiencies can disturb the health of the hair. No worries anymore as you can start having walnuts because the biotin enriched walnuts help to make the hair look shinier. Simultaneously improves the texture of the hair. Also, it adds length to the hair and strengthens from roots.
Therefore the above said benefits of walnuts justify that walnuts nutrition facts actually enhances the quality of life.
Tips on choosing the walnuts
You need to show your patience when it comes to choosing the perfect nut. It is not easy to bag the high quality at one shot. You need to ace these following tips to end up having the right flavored walnut.
- The first tip is that you should avoid the walnut with faded color.
- If you see a walnut with a cracked shell, then drop the idea of having that. It is because it might be an indication that mold has already developed inside.
- While, buying the walnut just check out the weight of the walnut and go for the ones that seem heavier.
- When you decide to purchase the walnuts in bulk quantity ensure that you buy those especially available in airtight bins.
- Apart from all these, you should also check out that the walnuts should be fresh enough.
- No matter whether you buy in lump sum or individual, just keep those off the cart, which appears rubbery in texture.
- One more thing that you can always do is take the walnuts closer to the nose and try to smell it minutely.
How to store walnuts
Now here we come to shed light on the storage ideas to help you store the walnuts for a longer duration.
- As you purchase the walnuts, make sure to refrigerate them. Now this will confirm that the walnuts will stay fresh until you consume them.
- But yes if you plan to preserve them longer say for more than a month, then just store them in the freezer.
- If you get them in a sealed package, just keep it like that.
- In case, if you want to keep them out of the sealed bag, make sure you put them in any closed container.
- You can get the shelled walnuts from the shopping complex just pick them in different forms like buy as halves or chopped. Note that you can store the shelled – walnuts for a year without any tension of getting stale or something.
- Now if you want to have the in-shell walnut, then just collect the walnuts during the winter.
- One thing you should always remember that once you crack the walnut just have it immediately. Don’t plan it to have an hour.
- If you want to use grounded walnut, in that case too ground it only when you need to use it. Don’t use the grounded one that you did a day before because it kills the freshness of the walnuts.
How to eat walnut
To add the walnuts to your daily dietary routine, you simply have to follow the steps:
- Just soak the walnuts in a container overnight. Make sure that you don’t take more than two in a day. Remember that you can have them as the mid-morning snacks.
- Another way round, you can have the walnuts during the night time as well.
- If you are a morning person, then have your breakfast with walnuts. In that case, you can consume the walnuts with cereals.
- As a good snacking option, you can prepare a dry fruit concoction. You can do so by mixing the walnuts with the other types of nuts.
- You can also have it during lunch with a salad.
Walnuts nutrition facts are huge and so taking it regularly will extensively improve your health. Besides walnut is also known to impart good health as well. So follow the above content to have a vivid idea on the walnuts nutrition facts and understand the points shared on storing the walnuts.