Our eyes provide crucial information about the world, and losing vision can be incredibly isolating. Unfortunately, eye diseases are a global issue, affecting over 2.2 billion people. Ophthalmologists play a vital role in treating these conditions, using surgical and laser technologies to manage complex diagnoses. This article will provide information on the top-ranked eye surgeons abroad who are highly professional and experienced in treating patients with rare diagnoses and severe eye conditions. Additionally, you will learn how to find a good ophthalmologist.
Table of Contents
Criteria for Selecting the Best Eye Surgeon
If you notice any progressive vision problems, it’s essential to seek out a reputable specialist. It’s not wise to randomly pick one, especially if you have a chronic visual impairment. Here are some key characteristics that indicate a professional and skilled doctor:
- Specialization. Not every ophthalmologist is a surgeon. Some specialize in the retina, cataracts, or glaucoma. Eye surgeons can be refractive (specialize in laser vision correction), vitreoretinal (treat retinal detachment and tears, vitreous hemorrhages, etc.), laser (non-penetrating operations for glaucoma, fundus pathology, secondary cataract, etc.). Therefore, choosing the best doctor based on a specific disease is necessary.
- Experience. It does not mean the number of years but the number of successfully treated patients or the volume of his practice. Therefore, constantly researched how many patients the eye surgeon treated and how successful the operations were.
- Reviews. They can be found on the AiroMedical website. The fame of a good specialist always runs ahead of him. Therefore, reviews and recommendations are a significant indicator of professionalism.
- Modern equipment. The doctor must work in a hospital that keeps up with advanced medical technologies and is equipped with accurate and high-quality equipment for vision correction.
- Range of services. It is worth selecting a doctor who works in an ophthalmological center with a full range of services. Comprehensive solutions save time on diagnosis and treatment. It is especially true for people with serious eye diseases requiring surgical intervention.
Following the above tips, choosing the right eye surgeon will become much more manageable. Specialists in all fields of ophthalmology are available in specialized eye clinics (both commercial and state). Therefore, we recommend contacting narrowly focused ophthalmological hospitals.
Best Eye Surgeons Worldwide
Prof. Dr. Med. Peter Rieck, Academic Hospital Schlosspark Charlottenburg Berlin (Germany), author of more than 100 publications.
Prof. Dr. Gonzalez Candial Miguel, Teknon Medical Centre Barcelona (Spain), member of the European and American Societies of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Phakanat Iamtrakul, experienced corned and reflective surgeon at the Sikarin Hospital Bangkok.
Top Eye Surgeons in the United States
Dr. Yevgeniy E. Shildkrot, Charlottesville, Virginia, with areas of expertise in retinal detachment, carcinoma, and melanoma of the eye,
Dr. Glenn J. Jaffe Durham, North Carolina, is an expert in age-related macular degeneration and cataract removal.
Dr. Felipe Dealba, Maywood, Illinois, has been practicing for over 30 years, treating diabetic retinopathy.
Benefits of medical treatment in the US
Advantages of the hospitals in the US:
- Help with all eye diseases, including the most complex and rare cases.
- Microsurgical, angiosurgical, laser, cellular, and tissue technologies are widespread.
- Laser scanning of the retina, dopplerography, electroretinography, biomicroscopy, and other diagnostic techniques.
Top Eye Doctors for Treatment in Europe
Prof. Dr. med. Karl Ulrich bartz-Schmidt, University Hospital Tubingen (Germany), author of more than 320 publications.
- Castanera de Molina Fernando, Teknon Medical Centre Barcelona (Spain), American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons member.
Dr. Darius Aukstikalnis, Kardiolita Hospital Vilnius (Lithuania), is an expert in cataract and refractive surgery and a European Society of Ophthalmology member.
Benefits of medical treatment in Europe
In the arsenal of hospitals in Europe:
- All laser vision correction methods, including the ASA technique, do not require penetration deep into the cornea.
- Collagenoplasty of the eyeball in children and adolescents with rapidly progressive myopia.
- Implantation of an electronic video device – a “bionic eye.”
Top Eye Doctors for Treatment in Poland
Dr. Karol Nowacki, Ph.D., is an expert in eye cancer at the KCM Clinic Wroclaw.
Prof. Andrzej Grzybowski, Ph.D., is head of the Institute for Research in Ophthalmology, Poznan.
Dr. Maciej Szuszkiewicz, KCM Clinic Jelenia Gora, an ophthalmologist with 11 years of experience.
Benefits of medical treatment in Poland
Patients are attracted by the following:
- New equipment modifications.
- Numerous successful corneal transplants.
- Scientific developments in immunotherapy (antibodies that block retinal atrophy).
Top Eye Specialists for Treatment in Italy
Prof. Dr. Francesco Bandello, University Hospital San Raffaele Milan IRCCS, author of more than 149 articles in Pub-Med journals.
Dr. Marco Abbondanza MD, Sapienza University of Rome, listed in “Who is Who in Italy” and “Who is Who in the World”.
Luca Iacobelli, Eye Specialist Consultation, Rome, is an expert in cataract and glaucoma treatment.
Benefits of medical treatment in Italy
Specialists of clinics in Italy are legitimately proud:
- Minimally invasive operations on the retina and vitreous body.
- Excellent results in treating retinopathy of prematurity, age-related macular degeneration, and other retinal diseases.
- Extensive use of all known and effective methods of keratoplasty.
Top Ophthalmologists for Treatment in Germany
Prof. Dr. med. Frank Koch, Eye Centre Frankfurt am Main, is listed as the primary physician for diabetic eye and retinal diseases on the Focus.
Prof. Dr. med. Arthur Mueller, FEBO, Director of Ophthalmology at the University Hospital Augsburg.
Prof. Dr. med. Armin Wolf, University Hospital Ulm, author of more than 240 publications.
Benefits of medical treatment in Germany
Ophthalmology is one of the main activities of hospitals in Germany:
- Treatment of age-related macular degeneration, vitreoretinal surgery, and glaucoma surgery.
- Minimally invasive microsurgery and new techniques, such as Amblysis glasses and a computerized Neurovision simulator for strabismus correction.
- German scientists have invented a cross-linking method for treating keratoconus.
How to get treatment by a rated Eye Doctor
Our eyes serve as windows to the world, providing over 80% of the information we receive. At AiroMedical, we offer exceptional eye treatment from qualified, experienced eye surgeons. The best doctors, professors, and researchers of clinics will care for your health, and numerous staff will care for your peace of mind and comfort during the procedures. By entrusting your eyes to highly-rated clinics, you can enjoy vibrant colors and a new perspective on the world. Contact us and get an individual treatment plan today.